Montag, 27. Juni 2011

On Sunday I head to Nepal for two weeks of volunteer work.

I got a leech. Not bathing with elephants. Not even stepping in a puddle. Walking over pine needles, it waited for me. In the forests around Nagarkot, because of the rainy season, the leeches will fall from the trees. Maybe this is why nobody comes to Nepal in June…

We spend the night in Nagarkot. During the winter you can see the Himalayas and the third largest mountain in the world. Waking to see the sunrise we only saw fog over taking the moutains and while still breath taking, Bishwa’s story of his ministry was worth the sleep deprivation.

When New Life Nepal first started they went to the two districts outside of Nagarkot. There they expected to plant 5 churches in two years. They knew it would take time so time is what they gave themselves. After one year 250 churches were thriving in these districts. Now, Ramila tells us, they will travel to the edges of Nepal to continue their ministry. They are thirsty for living water in Nepal. And in the last 60 years, 900,000 Nepalis have been baptised as Christians. That means 26 Christians a day. Although we thought that was a lot, Bishwa pointed out how many more die each day and that we have our work cut out.

Today we are back at the school. Becky, Alex and I have taken on another class at 6:30 in the morning. We walk with our toast in hand because 6:30 comes faster than you think. One of the classes is with students who understand English better so we talk about American culture. I have never felt like more of a fool than when I was explaining the Superbowl. Even just football in general.

7th grade we teach how to politely say yes and no which leads to a game of I Spy. Then in 8th grade we evaluate a poem by Williams Wordsworth. Then back to 7th grade to talk about civilization, which their textbook has a dialogue written in Socratic method. I couldn’t help thinking about my communication studies professors.

By far the most fun for me are the breaks where we interact with so many different ages. Becky takes pictures of the girls, Alex keeps practicing her Nepali, Daniel takes pictures with the boys, posing as a strong man, Dallas plays ping pong. I some how get pulled into a discussion about whether there is discrimination in the States. The students are eager to use English and quick to laugh when we butcher Nepali phrases. They don’t have class tomorrow so we are meeting at the school than hopefully playing soccer, hanging out and possibly telling stories from the Bible. They all know we are Christians and Alex even found another girl who is a Christian at the school. As we leave she cries out “Jamasi” which is how Christians greet each other in Nepal.

We’ve hit two weeks now and I’m afraid of the time we have left. I know it will move faster than I desire. It feels as though we are just getting to know the students. We are finally in a rhythm here at the Grace house, as Bishwa and Ramila have dubbed it. We eat, play cards, tell jokes, say goodnight to our hosts, play some more cards, debrief our days and one by one doze off earlier than we want. Taking showers under the faucet has become a game. Talking about bodily functions has become far more normal than I’m usually comfortable with. It is so difficult to be here in Nepal. Their traditions and customs are so different, even in the way they say yes. But it is becoming dear to my heart. The people are generous and so kind. They are funny too. My team has become my confidants, they make me smile and motivate me to have adventures. Bishwa and Ramila are our guardians, we would be lost without them, physically and spiritually. I don’t know what to think besides the fact that Nepal is now becoming a part of me.

We will continue to teach each day, grades 7-9 in the morning and then 4 and 5 in the afternoon. The most difficulties come with the younger children. They are used to just reciting things, or reading out of a book. So when we push for comprehension, they get confused. Alex does very well at communicating hard concepts but I feel weird using words like plural and possessive when the children don’t understand what an apotrosphy really means. But we’ll get there.

This weekend we will be in Pokhara, the city by the lake. Then our last week will be spent again at Jana Jagrity, our now beloved school. So far we have seen mountains, cremations, leeches, rhinos, the Royal Palace, and many other things. We spend our free time planning lessons, playing Phase 10 and then making friendship bracelets for each other.

Although I am eager to work and play here, I do miss home. I can’t help thinking about how my friends will be spending 4th of July or if my family is doing well. But I asked for God to put my heart here and I’m thankful that God is good to me and gives me what I need at times. I’m loving Nepal, the humidity, the stinking and crowded streets, the people. It will be hard to leave this place.

Note: I didn’t even know that I was bitten by a leech until Becky pointed at my toe and said, “Why are you bleeding?” Dallas got one too. No infection, don’t worry Mom.



On Sunday I head to Nepal for two weeks of volunteer work.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen